Hello my name is Ms. Michelle K. Myles…I am The School Counselor for Anthony J. Schmidt Elementary School. If you are not sure what a school counselor does please read more...
What is a School Counselor and what do we do?
Do you know that your counselor . . .
· Listens to you?
· Talk with you when you are happy, sad, or angry?
· Can visit your classroom?
· Helps groups of boys and girls?
· Is your friend?
· Helps you in solving problems with friends, or family?
· Can work with you by yourself or within a small group?
· Aids parents and teachers in helping students?
· Is a safe person to talk to.
Why would I want to visit my counselor you ask?
· “I’m getting picked on at the bus stop and I don’t know what to do about it.”
· “my best friend isn’t talking to me anymore.”
· “I think my parents are getting a divorce.”
· “I am new to this school, and I am really scared.”
· I did a lot better on my last math test and I want to tell someone.”
· My dog got hurt and I’m worried.”
Elementary School Counselors Help Kids. . .
· develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
· cope with family change.
· develop decision making and problem solving skills.
· School staff, teachers and administrators understand and meet the needs of all students in social and emotional areas, intellectual, personal, and academic areas.
· Consult with outside agencies to help families find services.
· Children to understand themselves better.
· Parents and teachers create a positive learning environment so kids can learn their BEST!
Why would parents want to talk with the counselor?
· “Sara doesn’t want to go to school in the morning.”
· Joshua says he doesn’t have any friends and is very sad.”
· “Joe seems angry lately & he won’t talk with us about it.”
· “Kevin has difficulty going to sleep at night and often has nightmares and can’t sleep.”
· “Beth won’t tell us what is bothering her.”
· “Someone is picking on Sue and she won’t tell us who.”
· I think my child is being bullied and I do not know what to do.
· My husband and I are not getting along and we need to find a counselor to help us.
Here are some reasons your teacher or Principal at school might want to talk to the School Counselor . . .
· “Billy is absent a lot.”
· “Mikey cannot sit still in the classroom.”
· “Patrick is new to this school and he is a little scared.”
· “Amanda’s behavior has really deteriorated over the last couple of weeks.”
How can you come see the counselor?
· You can ask your teacher to go to see the counselor.
· Your teacher can send you.
· Your parents may ask the counselor to talk with you.
The School Counselor is NOT . . .
· A Disciplinarian
· An Administrator
· A Principal
· A Social Worker
· A Psychologist
... However they may consult with them.
Elementary School Counselors Believe. . .
· Children have dignity and worth as human beings
· Children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationships with others
· Children who understand their feelings are better able to control their behavior.
· Children are capable of making responsible choices.
· Attitudes formed during the elementary years shape attitudes towards learning, self and society.Michelle K. MylesSchool Counselor
Anthony J. Schmidt Elementary School9455 Lake Shore RoadAngola New York 14006Phone number: 716-926-2363Anthony J. Schmidt Office Phone number 716-926-2303FAX: 716-549-4428