PHILOSOPHY OF LAKE SHORE INTERSCHOLASTIC ATHLETICS
Interscholastic athletics are an integral part of the total educational experience at Lake Shore Central School. They are an extension of the physical education program. While participation in the classroom instruction phase of physical education is mandated for every student, participation in interscholastic athletics is in a voluntary basis. Students are not simply involved in interscholastic athletics because of developed interest and desire, but also as a result of demonstrated skills and abilities. Thus, interscholastic athletics are intended to provide and outlet for the energies of those students whose physical development and interest fit them for the more strenuous sports and who benefit physically, socially, emotionally and mentally by participating in such sports. Interscholastic athletics therefore, should be devoted to the “pursuit of excellence” in the development of our youth, with particular emphasis on health, fitness, character and physical skills.
Our program should be highlighted by a strict respect for authority as well as ourselves, personal, integrity, and pride and for a sense of fairness that will become inherent in the athlete’s adult life.
Athletics will be encouraged to maintain their best possible grades in all academic areas. Coaches will cooperate in providing time for help classes and leave sufficient evening time for homework and study.
We will always strive to keep our standards high, to temper justice with fairness and provide a program of fun and satisfaction while maintaining unquestionable leadership in all athletic endeavors.
If this philosophy is to be realized, certain standards must prevail which are essential to a successful interscholastic program.
GOALS OF THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
1. Provide a co-curricular facet for training in citizenship, responsibility, cooperation, loyalty and adulthood.
2. Provide for worthy use of leisure time.
3. Impart knowledge and good habits of health.
4. Teach skills, habits, and attitudes that will have carryover values.
5. Promote friendship and respect for each other.
6. Develop a common Pride in the entire school body so that they may show their allegiance to the school and community.
7. Make the students aware that true justice is a necessity and punishment follows violations.
8. Provide for an outlet for the basic American traditions – COMPETITION.
To be of maximum effectiveness, the Athletic Program will:
1. Be a well- coordinated part of the secondary education.
2. Justify the use of funds and facilities of the district because of the educational benefits.
3. Be based on the spirit of amateurism.
4. Be conducted by school authorities.
5. Provide opportunities for many students to participate in a wide variety of sports in every sports season.
6. Monior commercialism
7. Foster training in conduct, game ethics and sportsmanship for participants and spectators.
8. Engender respect for local, state, and national rules and policies under which the school program is conducted.
NEW YORK STATE CODE OF ETHICS
It is the duty of ALL concerned with High School Athletics to:
1. Emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
2. Eliminate all possibilities, which tend to destroy the best values of the game.
3. Stress the values derived from playing the game fairly.
4. Show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and officials.
5. Establish a happy relationship between visitors and hosts.
6. Respect the integrity and judgment of sports officials.
7. Achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game and standards of eligibility.
8. Encourage leadership, use of initiative and good judgment by the players on the team.
9. Recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well being of the individual player.
Remember that an athletic contest is only a game not a matter of life and death for a player, coach, official, fan, school, community, state, or nation.